December 6, 2009

Angry Letter

Topic: Placing Green Bins in Waipahu

Dear City and County of Honolulu,

Oahu is a beautiful place to live and I've lived here my whole life. This whole island is surrounded with plants and trees that we cherish and take care of dearly, but once in a while we need to cut them before our island will look like a big grassy plant in the middle of the ocean. Right now there are green bins used for green wastes such as yard trimmings, leaves, grass clippings, and Christmas trees but they are only in certain parts of the island.

Over the summer my family and I went to Mililani to visit relatives and noticed they had already had the green bins distributed. I wondered why only this portion of the island has the green bins and nowhere else. Later I also noticed that Hawaii Kai and Kahaluu had the green bins. So why is it that the green bins have to take long to be given out on the Leeward side? It is a fact that we have been making changes to better make our island "go green", but how can we go green if we don't have the materials to make it happen? Whenever my family and I do yard work we tend to just throw away green wastes and we think its better off not to do it but we have no other choice.

If Oahu wants to be more observant with recycling and saving the earth, greens bins should be distributed everywhere at one time and not just one side of the island. It would be better for the bins to come out faster rather than the inconvenience for everyone that doesn't have one.

Sincerely,

Thea Marie Madriaga

3 comments:

  1. Hey!! Ohkay, I like ur letter and it really has described what u would like tk be done and what u would like the city and county to fix.
    Honestly, u have a great letter! :)
    What needs to be fixed is that u should describe more about your bad experience and about how u felt when u found out that other parts of the island had the green recycle bins and the leeward side doesn't. You need to be more firm so that you can make sure that they do answer you and they see how important the green bins are to you, others, and most importantly, this island.
    Great job though! :D I really did like it... Good luck on your revision!
    -Jisel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Thea,
    I think your letter is generally good. But might i add that the first paragraph has some minor sentence fluency issues. But all in all its alright. I think there can be some things done to improve it though.Maybe a bit more detail would do? Well good luck:)
    *amber

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Thea,

    Since your letter is on the same topic as Angela's, I am going to copy paste what I wrote to her as far as the background on the green bin recycling program of Honolulu.

    I think your complaint is a good one, but I think you need to get a few more specifics about just how it works, to give your letter more credibility.

    Here is what I wrote to Angela: "I think, though, that you need to check a little bit into the background of this, so that you can acknowledge the details about the program in your letter. Here is a website I found that details the "curbside recycling" program:
    http://www.opala.org/solid_waste/curbside.htm
    From the schedule posted here, it seems that the whole island will have the bins by May, 2010. So you may want to focus your letter on your suggestions on what the city can do to help you in the meantime.

    And, I'm not sure this is accurate, but I don't think the delay was caused by bin distribution issues. I think it has to do with getting the pick up schedules and manpower worked out, because the trash and recyclables and green waste are handled differently.

    Anyways, I think you have some good points. YOu just need to acknowledge specifics about the actual program in your letter."

    mrs s

    ReplyDelete